Monday 5 March 2012

Mistakes and the City

A while back, I was passing through the new Cairo – newly developed areas, very middle class, on the outskirts of Cairo. There were many villas, mansions, shopping centres, brand new motorways. While I was travelling, I realised the roads were full of cars parked on both sides, with hardly any spaces left for all of them. These “super villas” with swimming pools and gardens did not have parking spaces. I personally couldn’t believe that architects or city planners haven’t thought about this.

I can give you another example, this time from the resorts on the north shore of Egypt. To me it seemed that if there was a piece of available land, an extension would come up from left to right and back to front. This was done to gain an extra yard or two. It felt like there was no greenery left, with people stealing land from nature.
In my opinion, this is a civic issue. Civility is a social moral behaviour, based on community partnership which establishes a public benefit for all. How can we rebuild another magnificent civilisation, if we fight about every inch of land?

Let us nurture our community spirit and work together to live a fulfilling life.

No comments:

Post a Comment