Friday 18 March 2011

Is this the way to Abyei? Part 1

Abyei is at a crossroads, between a new nation (South Sudan) and a long-standing one (Sudan). In the past, there used to be no problems between the tribes of Missireya and Ngok Dinka. They lived in harmony, ate together, traded goods and even married one another.

What made them fight? Are any other parties involved? Is it about oil monopoly? We can speculate endlessly and arrive to various conclusions. This doesn’t interest me. The suffering of the people in the area does.

In my opinion, if the village elders and community leaders from both tribes sat down together and discussed without agendas imposed from outside, they would be able to reach an agreement and build a new future.
One Sudan, two Sudan or three Sudan, this is not the issue. The issue is a Sudan which makes people live in peace and safety, not many Sudans which forces people to carry guns and live in fear.

I wrote before about my Sudan and I am still repeating my message, singing my song and playing my guitar, hoping the village elders and community leaders will overlook politics and oil for the benefit of everybody involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment